On April 13, 2022, on behalf of Governor Tom Wolf, Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) Acting Secretary Neil Weaver recognized municipalities and local government officials for their dedication and commitment to strengthen their communities and better serve their residents.
“It’s an honor to recognize all of these local officials, governments and organizations for their achievements over the past year,” said Acting Sec. Weaver. “More than any other level of government, local government has the greatest impact on our day-to-day lives. The projects and individuals recognized today help continue to make Pennsylvania the best place in the world to live, work and play.”
Eleven communities, two organizations, and eight individuals from across the commonwealth were recognized for excellent service as part of the 26th Annual Governor’s Awards for Local Government Excellence.
The following local government officials were recognized for their dedication to public service and their communities:
- Kevin Boozel, County Commissioner, Butler County (nominated by County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania)
- Charles Guttenplan, Whitemarsh Township Directing of Planning & Zoning/Zoning Officer, Montgomery County (nominated by PA American Planning Association)
- Michael Lombardo, Mayor, City of Pittston and First Vice President, PA Municipal League, Luzerne County (nominated by Pennsylvania Municipal League)
- Mark E. Nickerson, Council President, Blooming Valley Borough, Crawford County (nominated by Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs)
- David R. Nyman, Township Supervisor, East Rockhill Township Board of Supervisors, Upper Makefield Township Manager, Bucks County (nominated by Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors)
- Bradley D. Shaffer, President, PA Council of Governments, Wayne County (nominated by PA Council of Governments)
- R. Samuel “Sam” Valenza, Upper Moreland Township Commissioner, President of the PA State Association on Township Commissioners, Montgomery County (nominated by Pennsylvania State Association of Township Commissioners)
- Thomas Zeuner, Immediate Past President of the Pennsylvania Municipal Authority Association, Bucks County (nominated by Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association)
For more information on the recipients of the 2022 Governor's award recipients, please click here: https://dced.pa.gov/newsroom/wolf-administration-recognizes-recipients-of-2022-governors-awards-for-local-government-excellence/