Upper Moreland Township

Quick Contact

Upper Moreland Township

Upper Moreland Township
117 Park Avenue
Willow Grove, PA19090-3215

Phone: (215) 659-3100
Email: Township Receptionist

Code Enforcement

Phone: (215) 659-3100 x1032
Email: Department Secretary

Inside the Website

Page Tools

Website Features

Visit the Upper Moreland Township Calendar. Read about the upcoming events in Upper Moreland Township at our Online Calendar!

View the Upper Moreland Township Maps. These visual aids can be an essential tool for every resident and visitor.

View Upper Moreland Township's Codes. Browse or search the Online code book!


Let us know what you think. We want to know how we can improve our website so it may become a better tool for you.

Website Tools

View Messages on UMTV

View Messages on UMTV

General Information and Guidelines


If you are planning any kind of home remodeling project, or thinking of retaining a contractor to do work for you, please keep the following regulations in mind. The Township's guidelines are based on national standards to help ensure that repairs, additions, and alterations are done safely, whether by homeowners or contractors. If you are unsure if a permit is required, please take the time to call the Code Enforcement Department, at (215) 659-3100, for assistance before beginning work. Fines can be issued for any work begun prior to the issuance of the permits required.

Building Permits

Building permits are needed for all repairs, additions, and alterations to properties. This includes work done to roofs, siding, windows, fences, sheds, both above and in-ground pools, driveways, driveway aprons, curbs, as well as interior projects in kitchens, bathrooms, and garages.

Other Permits

Permits must also be taken out for work on heating, air conditioning, and electrical systems. All plumbing projects must be done by a registered master plumber, and the plumber must apply directly for the permits required.

Building Codes

The current National and Local Codes adopted by Upper Moreland Township are:

Pennsylvania recently adopted a State-wide Code that all municipalities within the State will eventually be required to adopt and enforce. The State-wide code will include the international building code; international mechanical code; international plumbing code; international fire prevention code; international fuel gas code; international energy conservation code and the ICC electrical code. Visit the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry's web site for additional information.

Registration of Contractors

Contractors who work in Upper Moreland Township are required to register with the Township's Code Enforcement Department and provide the Department with a certificate of insurance.

House Numbers

To help emergency services personnel quickly locate your property, Township guidelines require that house numbers be posted on all residential properties. The numbers should be on the street side of your home, made of a durable, light reflecting material or color which is in contrast to the background, and be at least three inches high for residential dwellings. For non-residential properties, street numbers should be posted on both the front and back of the building and be at least five and one half inches in height.

Public Nuisances

The Township often receives complaints from residents concerning excessive noise, dogs barking continually (especially at night), and pet owners who fail to clean up after their animals. These are but a few examples of a public nuisance,'' actions which interfere with the repose, health, safety or life of others. Like most municipalities, Upper Moreland has adopted regulations which prohibit nuisances which affect the quality of life of our residents. Please be considerate of your neighbors!

Property Maintenance

Township regulations require that all properties be kept in good repair. Please trim grass and weeds regularly and remember that growth in excess of twelve inches is prohibited. Trash and debris may not be stored on properties at any time. Your cooperation with these regulations will help keep Upper Moreland a first class community for everyone who lives and works here.

Home Occupations

Residents may operate a business from their property subject to certain restrictions. Only people living in the dwelling may operate the business. If you are interested in running a business from your home, please contact the Code Enforcement Department first to make sure your plans are in keeping with the Township's guidelines and to obtain the annual use registration permit which is required. All businesses must also register with the Township's Business Tax Office before beginning operations. Residences used for in-home day care must meet all township regulations and be inspected annually by the code enforcement officer and fire marshal.

Recreational Vehicles

Recreational vehicles longer than twenty feet must have a Township sticker if stored on your property for more than two weeks. The sticker can be obtained from the Code Enforcement Department.

2010-2020, Upper Moreland Township. All rights reserved.